The Pentagon team tasked with studying unidentified flying objects plans to publicly release information on its findings.
The unit, now known as Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon Task Force, will report at least some of its work to the Senate Intelligence Committee every six months — with some of the group’s past officials hinting of possible otherworldly artifacts, The New York Times reported Thursday.
Eric Davis, one of the former officials from the Pentagon UFO program, said while he worked there the team found objects he believed “we couldn’t make…ourselves,” he told the Times.
Davis also said he gave a classified briefing to a Defense Department agency this March during which he elaborated on “off-world vehicles not made on this earth.”
It is not immediately clear what will be detailed in the force’s reports to the Senate, though the goal is to determine whether other nations have made advancements in aviation engineering beyond the US’s knowledge.
Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), the acting chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, told a Miami CBS affiliate earlier this month that he wanted more clarity from the task force as a matter of national security.
“We have things flying over our military bases and places where we are conducting military exercises and we don’t know what it is — and it isn’t ours,” Rubio said.
“Frankly, that if it’s something from outside this planet — that might actually be better than the fact that we’ve seen some technological leap on behalf of the Chinese or the Russians or some other adversary that allows them to conduct this activity.”
Rubio’s committee required the publicizing of findings as part of a committee report on intelligence agency budgets for 2021.
The committee mandates the task force “standardize collection and reporting on unidentified aerial phenomenon, any links they have to adversarial foreign governments, and the threat they pose to U.S. military assets and installations. ”
“Maybe there is a completely, sort of, boring explanation for it,” Rubio added. “But we need to find out.”
The UFO program began in 2007 under the Defense Intelligence Agency and has since morphed and been moved under the operation of the Office of Naval Intelligence, the Times reported.
Luis Elizondo, the program’s previous director who resigned in 2017, told the paper he was convinced the team has studied objects of unknown origin.
He praised the idea of delivering reports to the committee as a way to pull back the curtain on some of that work.
“It no longer has to hide in the shadows,” Elizondo reportedly said. “It will have a new transparency.”